Monday, March 14, 2011

Best. Stick. Ever.

Seriously. Who comes back from a vacation on Hilton Head Island with a picture of a STICK?!?!

Me. That's who. Because this is the best stick ever.

This stick is so great it makes me wish I was going to Chicago to take NanC Meinhartd's Art Sticks workshop. I'm not sure what kind of wood this is, but I found this near the beach on Hilton Head Island. There's a serious lack of driftwood there (at least on the beaches we visited), but this is just cool.

Best. Stick. Ever.

Let's see... What else did we do on vacation? (Yes, Bev, it IS a vacation even if we're retired!) We ate lots of really really good seafood. Filet Oscar (filet mignon topped with crabmeat stuffing), roast oysters, clam chowder, seafood chowder, shrimp, crab cakes, mahi mahi, lobster. Yum.

We went driving around the island a bit. Saw lots of birds. A few turtles. Even an alligator and a dolphin (not at the same time).

What we didn't do a lot of was shopping. There's no shortage of places to shop, but we didn't want to spend all our time (or money) in the stores and shops.

We did find a place that had BEADS.

:-)

I picked up a few semi-precious rounds for a custom order, and I also bought a BUNCH of four-ply silk thread that I can use for bead crochet.

Isn't this gorgeous?

Yards and yards and yards of silk. I can crochet for years without fear of running out of thread.





Having never crocheted with silk thread before (I've used some heavy weight stuff whose name I don't know and nylon upholstery thread), I wasn't really sure how I'd like using silk. Turns out I like it. A lot.

I had a request to create a bead crochet rope using some vintage beads (sent to me by a very special customer), and I decided to try out the silk thread. It worked great! And now I have a brand new bracelet, created from a long length of bead crochet rope and then knotted in a very special way before doing an invisible join.



So now I know what I'm going to be doing with all that silk thread. I just have to figure out what to do with the stick. :-)

2 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

That stick could be used to create an awesome mold for polymer clay/ceramic beads/cabs. Too cool!

Miss Val's Creations said...

That stick is really cool! It has such odd texture! ~Val